Tuesday, December 23, 2008

It's Beginning to Look a lot Like Christmas...

Christmas is literally right around the corner, and tonight I get to enjoy some genuine Christmas spirit and joy!

My Sophomore year of high school, I began singing with a group of girls from church called "Sweet Peace." These girls had already been singing together for around ten years. We would sing various A Capella songs and sing them at church, LTC, festivals, and other community activities. We would practice every week and perform numerous times a year. Not to mention the matching outfits we had! I loved being involved with this group, learning music, and making some great friendships!

Camille came up with the great idea for us to get together and go caroling tonight around town! Which of course we were all so excited to get the chance to sing together again! It had been a little over 2 years since the last time we sang together, and we were looking forward to our little reunion. We went to various homes (mostly our parents and people from church) ,and sang Christmas carols. I had forgotten how much fun I have with these girls when we all get together!

My favorite part of the evening was towards the end of the night when we went to the Stewarts house. This was were we spent a many of hours practicing all of our songs. Mayre was our director and the mother of three of the girls in the group. She has recently been diagnosed with cancer and it felt great for us to be able to share what she had taught us so many times....to love music. We sat around for quite a while and sang songs that we had sang through out our time together as a group. We also recalled story after story that we shared while growing up. I can't really think of a time when you can just sit down and sing together as a group, acappella, various harmonies, and make it sound so beautiful!

Looking back over the past 10 years or so, I now realize how much of an impact this group and these friendships made on my life. Each one of these girls (and Brad) set a wonderful example for me as well as to allow me to be a part of such a wonderful ministry. I am truly thankful for each and every one of the members of our group. And I am so happy that I had the chance to be a part of such an amazing group of talented singers. Sweet Peace (Peas) for life.

"Abba Father, Take me higher, Abba, Father, Take me home."
-A Cappella

0 comments: